Saturday, December 28, 2013

Happy New Year

     I have been having problems with my computer for a while, but it totally crashed last night.  All my pictures are on my computer, so this time we will be picture less, sorry.  I would much rather tell our story with pictures, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.  A lesson I learned a long time ago was that "you have to roll with the punches".
     This week I felt pretty good and made our Christmas plates to give out.  Yummy treats like mint chocolate chip cookies, caramels, mints, divinity and Rolo/pretzels were on them.   Elder McOmber is delivering the last of them today.  All senior couples are checking apartments for cleanliness.  We have 22 apartments in the Whittier and Whittier West zones.  Elder McOmber was too busy to do it when I was feeling good, so he has to do it on his own today.  He loves giving the Elders and Sisters a hard time about keep their areas clean and neat.  It is easier to have the spirit with you when you are  organized and clean.  He gives them a plate of goodies after talking with them.  I had him all organized, but he lost the papers I had for him and he had to start from scratch.  Huh, we need to practice what we preach!  (Smile)
      Our Christmas was very quiet, in fact the most quiet I can ever remember.  We had a nice meal with our miniature turkeys (Cornish hens).  That's what would fit in our oven.   Elder McOmber talked about going in to work after lunch to work on his bicycle shed, the man is obsessed with it.  Instead we went for a drive by the ocean.  I took some nice pics, will post if my computer can be fixed for next week.  We went down by the Queen Mary and the lighthouse.  It is by downtown Long Beach.  It was very nice to spend time together!
     Said President David O. McKay: “True happiness comes only by making others happy—the practical application of the Savior’s doctrine of losing one’s life to gain it. In short, the Christmas spirit is the Christ spirit, that makes our hearts glow in brotherly love and friendship and prompts us to kind deeds of service.
“It is the spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ, obedience to which will bring ‘peace on earth,’ because it means—good will toward all men.”
     The really GREAT news is that I had my last chemo treatment on Friday!!!   The doctor and nurses cheered with me and they gave me hugs and a certificate.  My only regret is that I forgot to get a picture of those wonderful people.   note to self......take pics of all important people and times in my life, can't go back.  This is the last time for all the chemo side effects (positive thinking!).  I hope that with radiation I can be back to "normal" ( whatever that is?). That will start the middle to end of January.  
     We have been richly blessed and love our mission.  We have the best missionaries ever!  They always lift us up.  They truly follow Jesus and demonstrate His Christlike attributes!
     "As our great Exemplar, Jesus taught us how to live, to love, and to learn. He taught us how to pray, to forgive, and endure to the end.
He taught us how to care about others more than we care about ourselves. He taught us about mercy and kindness—making real changes in our lives through His power. He taught us how to find peace of heart and mind. One day, we will stand before Him as our just Judge and merciful Master.
These sacred responsibilities of the Lord cause us to adore Him as our personal and perennial Prince of Peace. We praise Him for our privilege as parents, grandparents, and teachers of children."
Elder Russell M Nelson. Christmas Devotional 2013
     May we always follow His example!

      Have  a safe New Year celebration,  I will probably be sleeping.














1 comment:

  1. Yeah! So happy you are done with your chemo! Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete