Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Wave of a mission

As Elder Russell M. Nelson said in his talk "Catch the Wave"....
"I thank God and His Son, Jesus Christ, for the Restoration and its power to propel a magnificent wave of truth and righteousness across the earth."

     Just as  the Elder Nelson talks about the "wave" of new missionaries going out, a mission is constantly in motion and fluid.  Experienced elders and sisters go home, new ones come.  It is impressive to see the growth of  these young people over time.  We have been here to see much growth in many of our missionaries.  And in that fluid movement, our mission opens new apartments and closes others.  That is Elder McOmber's job.  Today we moved sister's from a member's home  into another apartment.  I sat and talked with a wonderful lady who will be 90 in November.
Betty Mae Adams and myself.  She wrote poetry when she was younger and she shared it with me. She never published any according to the missionary sisters.  I would like to share one with you:
          My Journal

Why am I keeping a journal?
Why do I spend so much time
Writing the things that happen
In such a plain life as mine?

Sometimes I ask that question
To myself when I'm weary and tired-
Then I think of the words of the Prophet-
Words that were truly inspired.

"Please," said he, "Write in your journals-
Every woman and child and man
This is your duty-I urge you to start,
And if you but try-you can.

It's a way of counting your blessings
As you write them day by day
And your posterity will praise you forever
For sharing your life this way."

Sometime in a hundred years or so
When I've long been gone from this sphere,
And people have all but forgotten my name
Will anyone know I was here?

Perhaps someone will chance to read
These books that were written by me
And realize that I am a link
In a chain of eternity.

I picture myself in heaven
On a bright and beautiful day
When appears a lovely young lady-
And I can hear her say-

"That's her-that's who I've been looking for
My great grandmother-I know
For I've read about her so many times
And she loves me-she's told me so.

She told me about her own life
And her family that paved the way
For me to follow the footsteps
That have led me here today.

She said that she prayed for her loved ones-
Every one-on her family tree,
That we would all live worthy
To be together eternally.

I've read this in her journal,
And what a great help it has been
To me, in choosing the path I should take,
It has kept me from trouble and sin.

I love to read her journal
And the stories she would tell
And I'm sure that's my great grandma
For I know her very well.
 *****************
Good incentive to keep up journals!!

The sisters and Elder McOmber moving furniture out.


Sisters helping move furniture.
           
Sisters studying while others are moving.
                       
Sister Bueur and Brown


I inherited the 4 foot tall nutcracker that no one else wanted.  Elder McOmber told them I loved Christmas, so he is now sitting in my office until Christmas.  He has been around the mission for a while.  I think he was picked up out of some garbage.
Sisters Okanoue and Scott with Japanese money.

Elder Wright is showing the correct way to use this devise.  He is from Hawaii--Aloha!!
The Butler's, wonderful friends on a Senior mission as well. The work with the Cambodian ward and another ward.  They have meetings all day Sunday.

Elder Jesperson is a life saver, he helps in the office a couple of days a week and he helped me fix my computer so I could get in to do my nurse's notes after an"update". 
Elder's checking out the areas on a map of the Greatest Mission on Earth!  
California Long Beach Mission.


This week I was blessed again.  Had a doctor appointment, but my Dr.  was tied up in surgery. He wanted to make sure that "things" were progressing as needed and they were not going as fast as I or my family wanted.  We saw the nurse practitioner--if you want something done, a nurse can do it!!!
She talked to the right people and I was able to get my power port for chemo placed on Thursday.  It was amazing, and again, I can see the Lord's hand in all of this.  A nurse, 3 nurse anesthetist (one a previous NICU nurse) could not get my IV--thank goodness I was getting a port-I definitely need one.  It took 11 sticks (both feet and hands) and finally got it in the antecubital.  I guess I should not have exercised that morning since I was fasting for surgery.  (my fault) I was awake during the entire procedure and visited with the Dr.  She is a cute 28 year old who is in her last year of internship.  She was the first person I met in surgery back when all this started and she just happened to be in vascular surgery now.  Another hand of God-someone we knew and trusted.  She will be doing a fellowship in plastic surgery when I get to that point and gave us her number to call as she wants to help.  The fact that I was awake and did not get restless or panic during the surgery was another blessing.  I know there were angels around me comforting me!!  Thank you for all your prayers, I know they are heard and answered!   I felt good after surgery and Dr Martin arranged an appointment with Hem-oc that same day.  Chemo starts next Friday.  Dreading it, but want to get it over with. 

       A conference talked that helped me through some "rough" patches this week was from the April 2011 General Conference:  "More Than Conquerors through Him That Loved Us"    Paul V. Johnson of the Seventy.             

But these trials are not just to test us. They are vitally important to the process of putting on the divine nature. If we handle these afflictions properly, they will be consecrated for our gain.
Elder Orson F. Whitney said: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. … All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable. … It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire.”.....
After recovering from serious health challenges, Elder Robert D. Hales shared the following in general conference: “On a few occasions, I told the Lord that I had surely learned the lessons to be taught and that it wouldn’t be necessary for me to endure any more suffering. Such entreaties seemed to be of no avail, for it was made clear to me that this purifying process of testing was to be endured in the Lord’s time and in the Lord’s own way. … I … learned that I would not be left alone to meet these trials and tribulations but that guardian angels would attend me. There were some that were near angels in the form of doctors, nurses, and most of all my sweet companion, Mary. And on occasion, when the Lord so desired, I was to be comforted with visitations of heavenly hosts that brought comfort and eternal reassurances in my time of need.” .........
Our Heavenly Father loves us, and we “know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.”Someday when we get to the other side of the veil, we want more than for someone just to tell us, “Well, you’re done.” Instead, we want the Lord to say, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”

The entire talk is awesome!  Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment