Saturday, October 26, 2013

How to Stay Awake and Alert

    California Long Beach Mission has grown!  I have mentioned that when we arrived here 18 months ago there were 140 missionaries, now there are 268.  WOW!  We now have 6 zone conferences to include the 12 Zones where we used to have 3 zone conferences for 9 zones.  It is amazing how the Lord helps us adjust.  I feel I was blessed to present at each of the conferences this week(3 of them; the rest will be in 2 weeks).  The entire conference was on "Teaching with the Spirit".   I had started a presentation 12 weeks ago, but because of surgeries, I was not able to finish or present it.  The Lord knew;  it fit in perfectly with what was being presented this time.  I have to admit, I did not feel great on Thursday, but with a prayer and strength from above, it turned out OK.  Each day I feel better and stronger, so each day was a little easier.  I still have to pace myself (I am used to a much faster pace!)
This me trying to pace myself!
  " How to Stay Awake and Alert Meetings and Studies"   Was the topic I chose because many missionaries have asked me that very question.  (sorry, i can't turn off the caps)

     I do a power point presentation, but require them to come up with ideas of their own.  There were two good articles, one in the January 2013 New Era "How to Never Have a Boring Church Class Again" by TED BARNES and the other was: "To Be Edified and Rejoice Together" BY A. ROGER MERRILL
      I used the Quote from President Kimball: "Someone asked President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985), “What do you do when you find yourself in a boring sacrament meeting?” His answer was a little surprising: “I don’t know. I’ve never been in one.”  We discussed why someone who lived 90 years did not find any sacrament meetings boring.  They came up with many, I added "healthy" ways to stay alert.  Of course ADEQUATE INTAKE OF WATER was one of my points.  These missionaries will remember one thing from me.....Drink, drink, drink water!!
     There were several missionaries that thanked me for my presentation and one even said it was an answer to a prayer of his.  That made me feel good, I am glad I am an instrument in the hands of the Lord to help them develop lifelong healthy habits (I hope!)  The things they learn on a mission do change them for the rest of their lives!!!
     Elder McOmber stayed busy checking cars, presented on bicycle security and moving missionaries this week.  He works hard all the time.  The missionaries notice how hard he works.



We have a luncheon at each of the zone conferences.  The elders and sisters are all happy to see each other!
A couple of elders helping to clean up, I am proud of them just not dumping the crumbs on the floor.
Their mom's taught them right!
Some sisters meeting today.
The AP's used Alma 50:1-5.23 as a reference for their presentation on preparing lessons.  We have some really good artist in our mission.
Elder Joseph B. Worthlin said: "Most of us don’t mind doing what we ought to do when it doesn’t interfere with what we want to do, but it takes discipline and maturity to do what we ought to do whether we want to or not. Duty is too often what one expects from others and not what one does. What people think and believe and plan are all very important, but what they do is the thing that counts most. It is a call to throw out selfishness and to think of the common good of all."

"Life requires us to perform many duties—some routine, others more meaningful and important. An integral part of duty is to set the proper example and to take every opportunity to bolster others along this uphill road of life. This might be done with an encouraging word, a compliment, a handshake—any indication of caring. And we need to keep in mind that as we learn our duties well here, we also are preparing for the performance of eternal duties." "Let Every Man Learn His Duty". October 1980
Three of our "Elders" that completed an honorable mission, came back today for a visit.  They were able  to go to the Temple with a family they all taught.  The family was sealed today.  It was so good to see them all!   
This Elder changed his last name mid mission.  He is so happy, he was officially adopted by his step dad and was able to change his last name.  It will a trial to remember to call him by his new name(good thing they all wear name tags!).  He is excited to be able to be sealed with the rest of his family.  That's what brings happiness, being with our families forever!

1 comment:

  1. You are AMAZING! It is fun seeing the wonderful missionaries we know and incredible to see how many missionaries are new just in the few months we have been home from our mission! We are so grateful to see the Lord's work continue to move forward and know how hard all of you are working to serve our Heavenly Father's children in Long Beach! We love you and pray for you always!

    ReplyDelete