Saturday, November 16, 2013

Friendship and good examples



"....living the gospel and being true to gospel principles is the key to true, lasting, triumphant friendship. ....  Real Friendship   
Monday we had a farewell dinner  at Sister and  President Tew's  home for the Reynolds who have finished their service mission.  They have become dear friends.  We have learned so much from them.  They are such saints.  I read a scripture this week that reminded me of two people...
Sister Kathryn McLain  my neighbor from home and Sister Mariann Reynolds.
They both set examples that follow the Savior.

Alma 4:13 Now this was a great cause for lamentations among the people, while others were abasing themselves, succoring those who stood in need of their succor, such as imparting their substance to the poor and the needy, feeding the hungry, and suffering all manner of afflictions, for Christ’s sake, who should come according to the spirit of prophecy;
and Moroni 7:45-48 on Charity.
They both show the pure love of Christ through their actions.
Their daughter, Amy, has also taught me much.  She wrote this poem and I like it so much I thought I would share it with you.  Amy is 38 years old and has downs syndrome and is always so giving.  I will miss her daily hugs when I get to the office.

Amy Reynolds

We had a banquet..  All the Senior couples and the AP's and one set of sisters.
The sisters helped with the dinner.
Last week Lonnie used a punch that was given to us by a friend at the VA.  It is a breast cancer awareness punch.   He punched this leaf  last week and it was still on the tree this week,  A man excitedly wanted to show us this really neat  thing....the leaf.  He had to take a picture also.  Lonnie told him that he had done it last week.
Elder McOmber spends much time fixing bikes and teaching the Elders.
This week is our 20th Anniversary.  Because I got chemo this Friday and I an not sure how I will feel, we decided to go out to eat this Thursday for lunch at Joe's Crab Shack.  We love sea food.  We shared a pot of Lobster, shrimp, sausage, crab, corn on the cob and potatoes.  We shared a peach cobbler with real  Blue Bell Ice Cream for dessert.  He tried to talk them into selling him a bucket of the Blue Bell(his favorite kind of ice cream).  But they would not do it.  We had a wonderful view and great company and I felt great and could eat!
Our view.
Lonnie getting his bib
Me and my lobster.  We shared it, but had to take a picture first.
It was a wonderful outing!
This week my chemo was switched to one drug, I have finished the four sets of two drugs and I have been told this one should not make me as sick.  The problem was they gave me IV benedryl before the chemo just in case I had an allergic reaction.  Well that knocked me for a loop.  I could not keep my eyes open.  I had to have Lonnie come and get me and take me to the car in a wheelchair.  I was passed out for 5 hours.  Lonnie told the missionaries to not call me on Friday, I could not have answered them if they did call.  It was the premedication that did me in this time.  We will see how I feel this week.

The Missionary Medical Committee sends a newsletter out regularly.  There was a part of the conclusion of the letter that humbled me and brought tears to my eyes.
 Elder (Dr) Schwitzer of the Seventy who is the chair of the committee wrote the letter.  

 "Thank you for your great service and watchful care of the missionaries.  This week I attended the temple with the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve and listened to them pray for protection and safety for our missionaries.  You are included those prayers, just as the missionaries.  May The Lord bless you greatly this month in your service. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment