Friday, July 5, 2013

I am proud to be an American!


Elder McOmber in a 1930 Ford. 
     I am so proud to be an American and that we have served in the military(, Elder McOmber Air Force,  me-Army).   Having traveled overseas for the military and visiting family, I really appreciate America and the freedoms we have.  It is comforting to know that no matter where in the world we are, the church is the same and we are all children of God!
      We had a wonderful 4th of July.  We had a ward breakfast of pancakes, sausage,  and fruit.  then there was a flag raising ceremony.  I did a little bit of sewing in the afternoon and that is always comforting to me.   Elder McOmber and I like to walk around in the evenings at the campground. We are able to visit with many people.  There are many "grandparents" that have their grandchildren with them and it makes me lonely for my grand kids, but we love visiting with the kids and their grandparents.  We had a pot luck supper at our bishops home.  We invited a few non members, but they all turned us down.  In the evening, we could see fireworks from about 30 different places;  Sunset Beach,  Huntington Beach, Westminster, Knottsberry Farm, Disneyland, Los Alamitos, and all the surrounding areas.  It was a panorama of explosions all along the horizon.
Sister Luft and I at the bishop's picnic.
Elder Eto and Elder Ball
Sister Luft and  SisterYoungberg(from Idaho Falls)
"The ladies" talking quilting at the picnic.  We have made so many friends.  This is such a great adventure.
I was cold.  This  was before fireworks.  It has been cooler here than it has been up home in Idaho and definitely cooler than Mesa where Amy lives.  Lonnie laughed at me, but got me the blanket anyhow.
Elder McOmber loves to teach the AP's about leg wrestling.  This is Elder Walker standing and Elder Dixon on the floor.  They are both from Missouri.
2 Nephi5: 27 And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of ahappiness.
And why did the Nephites live after the manner of happiness after leaving their homes?  Because it says earlier in the chapter that they were industrious, built temples, kept the commandments and they kept records.
4 Nephi 1:16 says:  surely there could not be a ehappier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God.
And why were they happy?  The chapter says that they shared everything, they kept the commandments, did fast and pray, and heard the word of the Lord(went to meetings).
 
Happiness is an attitude that we have control over. 

      I was diagnosed with breast cancer this week.  The Lord is in charge.  Like I said in my blog last week, it is amazing how efficient the VA system was with my care.  Even the Dr's that I spoke with this week were amazed, but I know the Lord is looking out for me.  It is in the earliest stage of cancer and it is amazing that it was found.  I had a mammogram just one year ago with nothing seen then, but found a lump that they say is smaller than what I am feeling.  I received a very comforting and reassuring blessing. Things were said in the blessing that I had not verbalized to anyone, I know it was from the Lord. The scriptures have been a strength for me also.  My wonderful companion will take care of me through anything and I have a very supportive family.  (I am not telling our missionaries until it is closer to time for surgery, but my husband likes to talk.)
     I was worried that this might end our mission, but as long as I am not down for very long, we can continue.  That is a blessing!  We would stay here to finish the treatments anyhow, as we are in the system and the VA is only 3 miles from work and 5 miles from our campground. (vs 3-4 hours from home).  We have family within a couple of hours from here as well.
     As Alma tells his son, Helaman:
Alma 36:3 ...for I do know that whosoever shall put their atrust in God shall be supported in their btrials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be clifted up at the last day.
     President Kimball has said:(and he had plenty of trials):  "In the face of apparent tragedy, we must put our trust in God, knowing that despite our limited view, His purposes will not fail.  With all its troubles, life offers us the tremendous privilege to grow in knowledge and wisdom, faith and works, preparing to return and share God's glory:"
    I am happy (and calm), because I know in whom I trust.

2 comments:

  1. AS always you are a wonderful example to me and many others. We are sending all our love and will be praying for you. I know you will be in God's hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathy! You can do it! What can I do to help? Oh wow! You are so so strong! You can do this! Your attitude is an inspiration to me and all who know you.

    ReplyDelete